Sunday, June 29, 2008

Sunday Liberty Blogging


Ms. Liberty before her refurbishment. I took this photo some years ago. I don't remember for sure, but I would bet it was in the late seventies.

Although I was born and raised in the NY metro area I have not been back there in close to twenty years. Truth be told the NY never quite comes out of your blood regardless of how long one has been away. I've been out west since the early eighties, but every once in a while when I get excited the NYer in me shines through.

I knew a woman in Seattle who'd never been to NY so her idea of a NYer was the typical, they're gruff and they're rude and they're not nice people view propagated by some folks. I told her that the size of the city and it's effect on people is something that can only be understood when experienced. I can't say I was the reason, but she did go off and spend a week there. Her outlook changed completely. She came back from her visit and said, "now I understand you better." I asked her what she meant by that. She said that when she first met me she considered me more direct then she was used to, but after her visit she understood that it was not rudeness. It was just a NYer's upbringing that doesn't allow for wasted time and wasted effort. She found NYers direct, but very helpful and very pleasant, not at all what she had expected.

No comments: