Thursday, April 23, 2009

One Year

From my other blog. A post to celebrate a year smoke free.

I was a smoker for a long time. Why I started smoking is lost in time, but I’d bet it was because it was cool. Everyone who was portrayed smoking looked so wonderful. Smiles abounded and sophistication dripped from smokers. It was difficult to ignore because it was so, well cool. After all what teenager doesn’t want to be cool? There were two other factors in play at the time, there were no rules against selling to minors and cigarettes where cheap, you could get a pack for less than fifty cents. It wasn’t long before I was hooked.

Almost all aspects of my life included a cigarette; break schedules at work, ashtrays in living rooms and on the porch and lighters. Lighters were the source of great debate between smokers. Should it be a refillable or a disposable? It really didn’t matter once strikers for match books were moved to the back, but smoking got a grip on my life and wasn’t about to let go. The tar became a concern once I knew what its effect was. The nicotine was another story. Nicotine kept me smoking far beyond a time when I knew it was prudent to stop. My best guess is I was severely addicted to nicotine for at least 10, and perhaps even 20 years.

It had been a desire of mine to stop smoking for some time. Unfortunately one thing after another conspired to side track me from accomplishing the goal. It didn’t take much to side track me, shiny objects did well and a general dislike for uncomfortable come to mind. However, as it became apparent my health would be well served I consulted with my nurse practitioner on a course of action. She prescribe a course seemingly designed to allow for my foibles. I could smoke for a week while taking the initial dosage then quit in the second week while taking an adjusted dosage. The entire program was intended for 3 weeks.

It took me 12 weeks before I stopped smoking on April 20, 2008. By the end I didn’t care if I ever saw another cigarette as long as I lived. As hard as it may be to believe I didn’t have any cravings once I stopped. I don’t know how that happened, most people say it’s normal to have cravings. Okay, but I had none. It could be a challenge in the coming years of that I’m aware. However, I will also remember how hard it was to quit and how good I feel now that I have.

Here’s to another year smoke free!

No comments: